I have to admit to not exercising much this year. Too long on the computer and iPad has taken its toll on my neck, shoulders and back so that I needed to see a Chiropractic and it made me realise that something had to change. Finding the exercise that works for you is so important. In the past I have hit the gym (not my favourite), gone swimming twice a week, done Tai chi and Qi-gong as well as a lovely few months doing Ashtanga Yoga in Spain but lately – zilch! Nada!
My criteria for exercise now is
that it doesn’t take long
that I can progress at my own speed
that it will build strength and flexibility
that it is enjoyable!
Almost by accident I found a YouTube video showing The Tibetan 5 Rites and I knew that I had found what I needed. It is an ancient form of Yoga that rebalances the Chakras in just 5 fairly simple but highly effective moves. You start at whatever level you feel is right for you, maybe just 3 repetitions of each exercise and build up, in multiples of 3, to a maximum of 21 repetitions.
These exercises will increase STRENGTH – STAMINA – FLEXIBILITY – LONGEVITY and INCREASE ENERGY FLOW THROUGH THE BODY
If you have been ill or you haven’t exercised for a long time then please watch this video of Ellen Wood who was 73 at the time.
THE TIBETAN 5 RITES
- SPINNING – Stand with arms outstretched to sides and palms facing down. Spin or turn around clockwise (as that is the direction that your Chakras should spin) the required amount of times.
- LEG RAISES – lay on the floor or mat and with ankles flexed, raise legs straight up until at right angles to the floor and at the same time raise your head, pause and the return to starting position. Repeat x -.
- KNEELING BEND – kneel with body straight and hands by sides. Bend forward then placing hands on lower back or bottom bend backwards. Repeat x -.
- BACK LIFT – Sit upright with legs outstretched and hands placed flat on the floor with fingers pointing behind you. Draw knees up, feet flat on the floor and hip distance apart and push up to make a Table shape, dropping head slightly back. Repeat x-.
- DOWNWARD DOG TO COBRA – make a good V shape with your body, hands about shoulder distance apart and fingers spread and feet about hip distance apart. Then bring head forward through arms and lower body into Cobra position without hips touching the floor, extend head and shoulders backward. Repeat by reversing back up into Downward Dog position and start again. Repeat x -. This is a strong move and if your knees need to touch the floor until your core strength has improved then that is fine. Only do what you are capable of and build on that.
It is best to do these exercises first thing in the morning as they are very energising. I like to put a ‘pose of a child’ and prayer posture in between each set of moves, breathing deeply and eyes closed as it paces the exercise and stretches out the back and releases the stomach muscles and also adds a more meditative feel to the practice but do whatever feels right for you.
Follow with a healthy, light breakfast. I like a fruity, mineral Smoothie like this one……
Linda’s Summer Fruit Mineral Smoothie
A few Strawberries, Raspberries and Cherries
A big squeeze of Lime juice
A half teaspoon of Almond Butter
Coconut Milk or Almond Milk to cover fruit in blender
A free sample sachet of Sizzling Minerals Cherry Flavour
Sizzling Minerals have been life changing for us, find out more from the link below. They are available in Europe and USA