Quick and easy nutritious comfort food for Winter that is also cheap!
Even in Winter I like to eat salad and this one is super tasty and gives plenty of healthy fats and nutrients to boost immune system.
SARDINE HOT SQUASH SALAD
- crunchy lettuce plus fresh herb leaves
- mini tomatoes
- optional celery or fennel
- tinned sardines in olive oil
- roasted squash or pumpkin still hot and scooped out with ice- cream scoop just before serving
- sprinkle with toasted pumpkin seeds or pine nuts
- dress with Virgin Olive oil or avocado oil
I love mushrooms for boosting the immune system so here is a lovely supper treat
Make the filling by frying these chopped ingredients
- red pepper
- Pancetta or streaky bacon
- plus the chopped stems from the large flat mushrooms
Fill the mushrooms. top with torn Basil leaves and soft cheese or a coconut cream cheese alternative. Bake in oven 200C for about 15-20 mins. You can also pierce some extra tomatoes and roast them in the same pan.
I love these served with some cooked Romanesco – if you have never tried it give it a go. It is similar to cauliflower but with a firmer texture and more nutty flavour. My son, who has never liked cauliflower, loves this.
Slow- Cooker Hot Pot
A Winter Staple that makes life easy. I just add cheap cuts of meat (preferably on the bone) and whatever vegetables I have plus some good organic stock and leave it to cook for at least 4 hours. Normally one pot full will last us for two days – so I get to have a day off from cooking 🙂
This one was lamb shank with carrots, parsnip, courgette and potatoes plus Rosemary and Bay leaves.
Get creative and add spices, herbs, or fruit – apricots with lamb and Moroccan spice or chicken with preserved lemons…..my favourites!