Which 7 Bad foods are lurking in your kitchen that sabotage your health?
- GLUTEN and wheat in particular causes raised blood sugar, inflammation, inflammatory bowel disease, other digestive problems (see Post on Leaky gut), blocks the absorption of minerals and leads to anaemia and mineral deficiency, may be contaminated with Glyphosate (Roundup) and can cause neurological damage. Just to name a few reasons why this food can damage you health. See below for some books that have been written on all these subjects. The Paleo Diet, Gaps Diet, SCD diet are all aimed at cutting out grains that contain gluten, phytates and lectins that can seriously damage your health.
- SOY PRODUCTS (non-fermented) over 90% are Genetically Modified, contain phytoestrogens and have been linked to fertility problems, breast Cancer and infant birth defects, thyroid disorders and brain damage; contains anti-nutrients that block mineral absorption, can cause red blood cells to clump together increasing danger of heart attacks and Strokes and limiting the oxygenation of tissues; can cause severe allergy; due to processing can contain high levels of non organic aluminium. Soy lecithin is now often substituted with sunflower lecithin in products. Fermented soy products, on the other hand, can be good for you – Miso, Soy sauce, Tamari, & Tempeh.
- MARGARINE, HYDROGENATED FATS, TRANS-FATS AND VEGETABLE OILS, soya bean oil, corn oil, Canola – that have been changed due to high heat processing and solvents cause severe inflammation and damage to cell membranes. Directly contribute to heart attacks. They also upset the balance of healthy omega 3 fats. Healthy fat replacements are coconut oil, Olive oil, Avocados, butter (from grass fed cows) and ghee.
- SKIMMED MILK, HIGHLY PROCESSED MILK PRODUCTS like ‘yogurts’ that contain no live culture and have been thickened, coloured and sweetened & other bought dairy desserts, mousses, etc. Processed cheese that may have added emulsifiers, saturated vegetable oils, salt, sugar, colour and flavouring and that doesn’t melt when heated (think what that does to your arteries!)
- SUGAR, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, ENERGY & SPORTS DRINKS cause inflammation; raises Triglyceride’s, make complex compounds, called AGE’s, when mixed with proteins either in food during processing or in your body that cause oxidation – which leads to weight gain, faster ageing, Diabetes, heart disease, Cancer, Alzheimer’s disease etc. Also avoid artificial sweeteners unless diabetic when Stevia, Glycyrrhizin, Mannitol and Isomalt may be some of the safer ones. Check out how sugar fuels cancer at www.thetruthaboutcancer.com
- LOW FAT FOODS because most of them have replaced the fat with sugar, thickeners, and other junk ingredients to make them taste better. Check out “Cholesterol is no longer the bad guy!” Post for more information.
- HIGHLY PROCESSED FOODS & SNACKS with unrecognisable ingredients and additives. Stick with fruit, nuts, vegetables in their natural state where you know what you are getting. Get into the habit of reading labels, it can be horrifying at first and you may feel you need a chemistry degree but it is worth it for your long-term health.
SO TAKE ACTION
– clear out those kitchen cupboards and clean up your body – give it what it needs,
wholesome, fresh food!
Image courtesy of Apolonia at FreeDigitalPhotos.net