Everyone is now getting on-board with the latest science that has shown that we should be eating good saturated fats and not eating low-fat.
Choosing the HEALTHIEST FATS and OILS is much more complex than buying low-fat everything.
More knowledge and label reading is vital if you want to remain healthy or regain your health after eating low-fat, higher carbs over the years.
The false information about saturated fats causing obesity, Diabetes and heart disease has cost us dearly on a personal level and also on healthcare costs.
It has probably been responsible for the dramatic rise in Dementia and Alzheimer’s due to the brain needing sufficient good fats to function.
There is now plenty of evidence of the benefit of eating sufficient good saturated fats, plus less sugar and refined carbohydrates on loosing weight, loosing food cravings, losing blood sugar problems and having more physical and mental energy.
The Pharmaceutical industry think that high Cholesterol and Triglycerides are a reason to prescribe drugs rather than fix the cause by changes to diet.
If researching this topic on the Internet, please check when articles were written! An unfortunate aspect of the Internet is that articles very rarely get taken down and therefore it is becoming a massive source of misinformation.
Here is a simple guide to what you should and should not be eating when it comes to FATS and OILS.
The healthiest fats and oils are:-
- Virgin Coconut Oil
- Extra Virgin Olive oil
- Butter or Ghee if you can tolerate dairy proteins.
- Avocado oil
- the fat from mainly grass fed, organic animals – beef, lamb, pork, duck, chickens etc.
- free range, preferably organic eggs
- Oily fish and seafood
- Fish Oil and Krill oil from a good source
- Almonds, Cashews, Brazil nuts and Walnuts, their butters and oils
All of these unrefined fats and oils can be eaten as they are or heated at LOW heat 130 C or 250 F. Food will take longer to cook at this temperature but it should not burn or stick and it will certainly be healthier. Some ceramic pans cook well at low heat, without adding oil or fat. Saute, bake or grill rather than fry.
Virgin Coconut Oil, Virgin Olive oil and butter can be used in MID temperature cooking 177-216 C
Avocado oil or rice bran oil are the safest for WOK or searing at high temperatures 250 C.
If eating out choose a method of cooking that follows these guidelines because otherwise you will often be exposed to
Damaging Fats and Oil
- Hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated fats and Trans fats – considered the worst for your health. They will cause raised Blood Triglycerides and cause the formation of small LDL Cholesterol particles that cause Coronary Heart Disease and Heart Attacks. They also block insulin therefore add to Insulin Intolerance and higher blood sugar.
- Vegetable Shortening – mostly trans fats
- Refined oils – as the processes used in refining such as high heat, chemical treatment, bleaching and deodorising remove the healthy elements in the oils and produces more of the damaging elements.
- PUFA’s – refined vegetable and seed oils like Corn oil, Peanut oil, soy oil, vegetable oils.
The dangers of Trans fats on you health are many as they are unnatural fats that confuse the human body and disrupt various metabolic pathways. They are very inflammatory in the body.