Nutritional Supplements can be confusing and can be a waste of money. A friend asked me to check out the vitamin pills that she was taking. The first bottle had a label saying Vitamin B Complex and instructions saying to take 1-2 three times a day but with no ingredients list or amounts specified which I thought was odd. On closer inspection there was another label underneath with the missing information. On peeling off the top label the one underneath was damaged but the list started with Vitamin B1 (Thiamin) 1.2 mgs. which is about enough for a Budgerigar! You would need to take 10 -50 tablets a day to get a therapeutic dose. The most important things to look for in a supplement are the dose, whether they are in a bio-available form that makes them easily absorbed and the lack of additional “fillers” such as Magnesium stearate which can decrease the absorption of nutrients by about 65%. Here are some of my favourite and most beneficial nutritional supplements.
- CHLORELLA is a unique, single celled, fresh water algae that has a nucleus. It is often called a wholefood or pure food because it contains vitamins, minerals, amino acids, enzymes and polysaccharides. Chlorella contains ten times the beta-carotene of carrots. If taken with a good broad spectrum probiotic they work synergistically to provide even more vitamins in the body especially the B vitamins. It does not provide much Folic Acid but is particularly high in B-12 which is good for vegetarians.
- Xtend-life Total balance represent the highest level of micro-nutrients and quality that I have ever seen on the market. Total Balance is a multiple dietary supplement containing the most comprehensive formula of Vitamins, minerals, amino acids, enzymes, herbal extracts and other special nutrients targeted for men or women. It includes over 40 proven anti-cancer nutrients and special neuro-nutrients for the brain. The tablets are enteric coated so that they get broken down in the small intestines where absorption takes place. The company also produce the most information about their products that I have ever seen and they will answer any questions you have on-line or by e-mail. http://www.extend-life.com They deliver Worldwide and offer a money back guarantee.
- Seventh Wave Supplements are pure and natural. They offer some good balanced products with a good range of co-factors to make them more effective in the body. They have a selection of herbs, spices, Propolis, Zell Oxygen and Zeolite mineral and Celtic salt. http://www.seventhwavesupplements.com
- MGN-3 or BIOBRAN is a powerful Immune stimulant and is often recommended to keep the white cell levels up when chemotherapy and Radiotherapy are damaging the bone marrow. There have been studies on the effect that it has on T and B Lymphocytes and on NK Cell activity in cancer patients showing effect in all patients. For more information please look at the Cancer Active Website. linked here.
- Bodykind sell a large range of quality supplements from different companies and you can often get most of the supplements you want from the one place with free delivery. They have sites for UK, USA and Europe. Click here
A small comment on cost. It can be costly to take good nutritional supplements but if they make you feel and function better then it must be worth it. Compared to the amount people spend on alcohol and smoking – they are not expensive.